Editor's Note, Volume 12 Issue 6
D’Arcy Little, MD, CCFP, FCFP, FRCPC Medical Director, JCCC and HealthPlexus.NET
I am pleased to introduce the last issue of the Journal of Current Clinical Care for 2022.
Brandyn Powelske, Greg Kawchuk, and Ted Findlay present GLA:D® Back. While low back pain is one of the most common clinical conditions seen in a family physician's office, there remains a lack of low or no cost initial treatment options that are concordant with recognized best practice guidelines. As a result, many patients are offered investigations and treatments that have limited value and/or significant risks but are readily available through publicly funded provincial health care systems. GLA:D® Back builds upon the successful GLA:D model (initially developed for hip and knee osteoarthritis patients) by using the same established methodology to deliver a patient education and a targeted rehabilitation program for low back pain.
Dr. Pradeep Shenoy an ENT & Neck Surgeon from Campbellton Regional Hospital in Campbellton, New Brunswick offers Part 4 of an ENT Emergencies CME with a focus on Airway Obstruction. After participating in this 4-part online CPD Program, physicians, residents and medical students should be able to:
- Recognize that most ENT emergencies can be managed in the ER or by family doctors with knowledge of ENT
- Review that it is important to manage patients promptly and effectively with basic ENT training
- Comprehend when to refer the patients to the ENT surgeon to prevent complications
- Recognize that a few basic investigations will prevent delay to see the patients by an ENT specialist
- Explain the most appropriate investigation to handle ENT treatment
Dr. Michael Gordon offers two narratives. The first, Nine Lives Plus One or Two or Three, focuses on his personal experiences of taking care of feral cats as well as his love for the Abyssinian breed. The second narrative, The Most Important Decision of My Life, explores Michael's decision to leave the United States because he opposed the Vietnam War and settle in Canada.
I hope you enjoy this latest edition. Wishing you a very happy holiday season and best wishes for the new year!